Tuesday, December 29, 2009

2009: The Year of Discovery

When 2008 brought a year full of crossroads and opportunities, I knew my future was in for one hell of a ride. Little did I know just what that meant- which I suppose is one of the beauties of life. I had a good feeling about 2009, and while it took a minute for me to see just what that good feeling was all about, it's been a great one now that it's here.

This year was a year of major discovery for me. Jam packed with, "That's why I always did that", "I want to change this", "This is the person I've tip toed around being". This was the year when every little aspect of who I've been discovering, "Ashley Wellington-Fahey" is since my adolesence, all came to surface.

Throughout my teens and the beginning of my twenties, I've been told I come across as, "mature for my age" (you say that to my good friends and they'd probably giggle in your face). Maybe so, however when you spend every single second of the day living with yourself, your thoughts, your emotions, your past, your present, your future you become your own worst critic. I may have come across as mature, but I was just like any other person in their twenties or perhaps thirties, forties, so on and so forth who felt like I had the tools in the tool shed but just wasn't quite sure how to make them work correctly which left me feeling young and naive on the inside.

I knew somewhere inside of me I felt strongly about the simple word, "believe". I knew positivity was powerful. I knew every heartache faced taught you a lesson. I knew that everyone has talents that deserve to be highlighted. I knew that you just have to roll with the punches of negative people. I knew that you have to put your best foot forward no matter what's going on around you. I knew that I had big plans for myself and my future. I knew I just needed to get out there and see things, travel more like I love doing. I knew I needed to be sincerely happy with my single life, a life that all singles should cherish. I knew I deserved better than what  I was sometimes settling for. But, what I didn't know was how to bring all those "know-it-all" thoughts into action. I wasn't quite sure how to take the things I knew in my head and play them out in the real world... or for the sake of the metaphor I started with, I wasn't quite sure how to hammer the nail into wood.

But, somewhere in the middle of 2009 I finally learned to hit the nail on the head. I may have hammered a few nails in crookedly a couple of times in the learning process, and some nails may still be poking out a little too far, but I finally get it. I can sincerely say in 2009, I finally learned how to TRULY apply those aspects of my knowledge to my everyday life. And let me tell you, it's an amazing piece of intelligence.

So, to whoever is reading this, I hope 2009 brought to you as much knowledge as it brought to me, and if it didn't, I hope 2010 provides you the chance, while remembering, there's always 2011, 2012, 2013...... eventually we'll get it all sorted out.

Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment