Monday, March 22, 2010

Hawaiian Memories

I remember at 12 years old stepping off the plane, greeted by the encapsulating warm air all around me and fragrant skies blowing with the light scent of plumeria trees- a flower and scent I have taken on as one of my favorites. I remember the sand feeling like no sand I’ve ever stepped foot on- warm, soft, white, and in some areas golden and coarse, but still perfect in it’s own special way. I remember meeting a woman by the name of Maile who helped me string my first lei and later became my pen pal for over a year. I remember by first real experience with the power and strength of the ocean, as an unexpected wave on Waikiki sucked me under and gave me the sand wedgie of a lifetime. I remember salt in my eyes, and the taste on my lips, and I remember hardly caring when turning around to see the purple, pink and golden sunset behind me. I remember crying boarding the plane, crying on the plane and crying when I returned home. In fact, I remember quietly sobbing for a good week after that first trip at 12 years old. I remember- it was the first time I fell in love.

I remember going back, only this time to explore more islands. I hiked a volcano on the Big Island, drove the Road to Hana on Maui, visited the town my mom bought me my first (and last) bird named, Kihei. I remember hikes and waterfalls, beautiful palm trees, long drives around each island, red dirt and countryside unlike any other countryside I’d ever seen. I remember Hawaiian crushes and fantasies of coming back one day with friends and someday a lover.

I remember a trip with friends after high school- a touristy time, but a fun time nonetheless. Dolphin cruises, luaus, Pearl Harbor stories, Hula Pies at Dukes (always a must), and a snorkeling session resulting in a fried back. I remember feeling gracious for spending another time on the islands, but feeling as if my touristy days were behind me, as I wanted to experience everything else magical about the islands.

I remember after college heading back to Oahu to visit a friend who had moved there. I recall living up the Honolulu night life for a night or two, treks to the local hang outs, copious amounts of Long Board Lagers (my favorite brew), and $1.50 hot togs and Poke from Costco. I remember a North Shore hike, tossing the football at Sandy’s, a romantic date with chocolate and vino on the beach with a once Coloradonian turned Hawaii resident. I remember shrimp trucks on the drive back from North Shore and making friends with a wild cat (a common find around the islands). I remember climbing trees, jumping in the ocean after sunset and the perfect stillness that you can find even after a fun time with old and new friends.

I remember coming back to Oahu to visit that same friend, only this time with my best friend in tow. I remember watching them meet for the first time, fall for each other and later fall in love (that friend ahs since moved back to the mainland ). I remember nights on Diamond Head Beach spent with flips and jumps, pictures taken with a beach treasure (a child’s floatation device). I remember island driving again, and stops at random beaches. Climbing rocks in nothing more than a bathing suit and flip flops, jumping in waves, hiking up hills and picturesque views that not only took my breath away, but sent my mind into a thoughtful world of, “I can’t believe such beauty exists and I get to see it”. I recall another trip back to Maui. More random beaches, adorable towns, and searching for heart shaped rocks. I remember having no desire to leave and still wear my first pair of Locals purchased on that trip (I’m wearing them as I write this oddly and unplanned enough).

I remember my most recent trip back to the islands- a whole week spent on Oahu with my roommate and not one single plan except to wake up and see where the wind took us each day. It took us all over the island with days rarely spent in Honolulu or Waikiki (until of course the night). Treks down the LikeLike, H1, and Pali. Days spent in Kailua, Lanikai and Waimea. I recall stopping at any beach that looked ready for us, reading until my eyes burned, listening to the soft sounds of Jack Johnson, Jason Mraz, John Mayer and the chill beats of Hawiian Reggae until my iPod lost it’s life. I remember the unbearable amount of joy I felt as I sat on Waikiki the first day we arrived, and hearing my all time favorite Hawaiian band, Ten Feet playing in the distance and having the chance to watch them live that night again another night and later enjoying a night of beers with them (a great group of people). I remember a swim in a waterfall, and a hike through a luscious rainforest. I remember Acai Bowls for breakfast, Spam Musubi for lunch and Kahlua Pork for dinner all washed down with a Long Board or Lava Flow. I remember the surf ready swells of Pipeline and Sunset and watching the boards and souls take on the mighty pipes as surf season came rolling in. I remember solo walks on the beach in the mornings followed by coffee and writing while gazing out at the turquoise Pacific Ocean waters. I remember a Halloween night spent as a Seahawks player and the streets of Waikiki filled like I’d never seen before. I remember making great friends that trip and I remember, yet again, not wanting to leave.
I’ve never met a person who doesn’t enjoy Hawaii, but for me, Hawaii holds a place in my heart that I simply can’t explain. It’s like every ounce of beauty on the island reaches deep into my soul and wraps it’s scents, sounds, colors, aura, hospitality, and kindness all around me- a pretty tough thing not to be in love with and a place I’ll continue to make memories at for a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment