Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Random Acts of Kindness Should Happen More Often

I've always been a firm believer in Karma, paying it forward, and doing good towards others- even perfect strangers and with that I've always been touched anytime I witness others engaging in good deeds.

On a personal level, I try my best to be someone who does nice things for people I don't know, people who haven't always been kind towards me, and of course those who have gone out of their way to do both nice things for me and nice things for others. I may not be perfect at it, but I try. I think there's very few things in life that make you feel as wonderful as doing good for others does, which leads me to a recent Random Act of Kindness I experienced while simply getting a cup of Joe.

The other day I walked into my local coffee shop near my house. It was just another trip to fix my craving/need for caffeine- I did my usual scan of the shop to see what everyone was up to (reading and laptop immersion), then took a look at the menu on the wall as if I was really contemplating changing my everyday Non-Fat, Vanilla Latte. I noticed the two people in front of me happened to have ordered the exact same drink (some sort of frozen, green concoction), and I also noticed they didn't know one another. I thought about the randomness and neatness of two strangers ordering such an odd drink and then proceeded to order mine. The man in front of me quietly whispered to the Barista that he would cover the woman's drink. This of course leaving me with rushing feelings of happiness.

The woman was shocked and grateful, almost speechless. I suppose it's not TOO out of the ordinary, but I did think it was a neat gesture, especially since it didn't follow up with any kind of cheesy pick-up line or, "I want to get to know you's". As I ordered my drink, the woman proceeded to stand at the front of the line; assuming she just needed something, I thought nothing of it. That was until she informed the barista that she'd be paying for my drink. Immediately, I was flabbergasted. As she smiled from ear to ear in happiness over what the man in line had done for her, her smile had become contagious. Now, I was smilinig from ear to ear, the barista was smiling from ear to ear, the man who purchased her drink was smiling from ear to ear. The positive energy could literally be felt throughout the entire coffee shop and as I looked around, everyone in the coffee shop was looking up and smiling.

Unfortunately, there was no one behind me to pay for to keep the paying it forward at that moment going, and while one day soon I will make sure I do, I left the coffee shop that day filled with happiness and gratefulness brought on by two perfect strangers simply providing a random act of kindness. Could you imagine if every person did just one random act of kindness a day? Talk about being a better place....

No comments:

Post a Comment